Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Bliss


Greetings! Halloween was a success. Rus wore his pirate costume, to which we added boot toppers, and some pirate jewelry (courtesy of his mom-thanks!) I wore my fairy wings that Sean and Kate gave me for my birthday (thanks again!). Isaac was Bilbo, Xander was a snake charmer, and Laurelin and Gwen were both pink mermaids (inspired by the Barbie movie “Mermaidia”). It’s fun to watch your kids pick up traits that aren’t being formally taught to them. My dad always had music playing when I was a kid. He would sit back in his rocking chair (he still does this…) close his eyes and just be in the music. Most of us kids learned to do this too, instilling in us a deep appreciation of music and the beauty it brings to life. I of course usually have music playing during the day, different types for different moods, etc. We often put on a fast hyper song to have the kids clean up to, or if they’re feeling stressed I’ll put on something soothing and snuggle them to it. And I just about always have music playing in the car. As a result they’ve all developed their own tastes and favorite songs, to which they know most if not all of the words. So when we’re driving they often take turns picking which song we’ll listen to next. And they usually sing along. This strikes me as hilarious everytime, because they’re not just picking “kid” songs, they’re picking from the “grown up” music that I’ve played them their whole lives. Laurelin for instance loves “Behind These Hazel Eyes” by Kelly Clarkson. And I just have to laugh to myself everytime I hear her singing “I thought you were the one…” She also love “The Prophet” by Wolfstone (so gratifying to me since they are my favorite band ever) and she’ll say in her little voice, “Mamma, can we yisten to that ‘prophet gets paid’ song?” hee hee hee. Isaac has several that he likes, “Gasoline” by Enter the Haggis and “I Hate Mosquitoes” by Moosebutter among them. All of them love to sing along to the Monkees theme song (very appropriate for our family) and Gwen and Xander have both latched on to a particular Ace of Base song, that I have to admit, has very Xanderish lyrics. I put it on the other day and Gwen sang along, “never gonna say I’m sorry…” it cracks me up. At the end of the song Xander said to me, “Mamma, that song is my bliss.” Yeah, music is like that.
Pictures:
Pumpkin carving with Xander, Laurelin, Kerry, Mike and Isaac
Gwennie scooping out her pumpkin
Kerry and Mike helping Laurelin with her pumpkin
All of us before trick or treating
Fall leaves on one of the trees in the backyard

No comments: