Hello! Yesterday Rus and I celebrated our “zooiversary”. We went to the zoo on 15 of November eleven years ago, and it happened to be the day we decided to get married. So whenever we can we try to go to the zoo on that day. Rus’ cousin Tarah watched the kids for us, and they all had a grand time together. The funny thing was that the zoo happened to be having a volunteer/employee Thanksgiving dinner that evening. So not only did we get to go to the zoo on our zooiversary, but we had dinner there. It was lovely to walk around with Rus in an unhurried, relaxed way. Usually when we go to the zoo we have all the kids with us, so the stress level is higher. Pictures: Rus playing pin the tail on the turkey at the dinner; a camel for Kerry; a spotted turtle being very turtley and cute; Rus being gorgeous, I love it when the afternoon sun hits his hair....; Kelly with a cotton top tamarin that didn't want to turn around for the picture.
Disclaimer: Neither the text nor pictures on this blog should be construed in any way to represent any sort of comment from the zoo. We took them strictly as zoo guests.
In the first video the elephants were eating pumpkins. When she picked it up (whole) she'd pop in her mouth and crunch down. It sounded like a balloon being popped. The second video is of some baby meerkats trying to figure out how to follow their mother into a deepish hole in the rock. You can practically hear the Looney Tunes sound effects when you watch it.

1 comment:
Happy zooversary! How many years for y'all? We are on our way to 12 years of marital bliss (well, mostly) ; )
Way cool to see an elephant eat a whole pumpkin, thank you for describing the sound, that must be amazing.
Note to you, Kelly--we were walking the precincts over a month ago for prop 8 and talking to neighbors about it, and we came to one house where I could immediately tell it was a group of ladies practicing belly dancing. I got all excited that I actually knew what they were doing. She seemed excited to know that I knew. I could hear their music, see them dancing a little through the screen door as we approached, and hear their skirts that had little metal things hanging off of them (sorry I don't know the right word) that make the belly dancing tinkling sounds.
Oh, and, we left her a flier--we didn't talk to her so she could get back to her group.
Post a Comment