Sunday, March 2, 2008

Insane week













Clockwise, starting from the top left: (1) Our saltwater aquarium's resident scourge of pestiferous Aiptasia anemones, the peppermint shrimp Pepe, with a fireworm. (2) Xander accompanying Laurelin in her "Elf Dress."
(3) Gwen appropriately signing "potty"
(4) Kelly, Mary Megan, Chasity, and their group dancing at Spring Fest


In preparation for working at the zoo, I needed both a TB test and a drug test, so I drove to Salt Lake to get them. Just as I was parking at the County Health Center, I realized that I had forgotten an essential document at home. I went ahead and got the drug test first, and then drove home, picked up the paper, and went straight back for the TB test. Four hours in the car for a total of 30 minutes of testing. Yipee. It reminded me of living in Hawaii, only without the palm trees.

Isaac and the other Cub Scouts in the ward hosted the Blue and Gold banquet this past week. The theme was Chinese New Year; not only did they serve tasty Chinese food, but they had crafted a Chinese dragon. The highlight for me was watching Isaac and the other boys dance the dragon around as we spectators clapped out a rhythm.

Both Isaac and Xander won “Top Readers” in their classes as part of the school Read-a-thon. With such a bibliophilic bunch, I can't say I was surprised.

Before Sarah, Justin and Juma returned to California, it was decided that we would have a Harry Potter party. Sarah and Mom got together and made all kinds of appropriate treats, from pumpkin juice and Molly Weasley’s Onion Soup to Acid Pops and Chocolate Frogs. All of the treats were delicious and a magical time was had by all.

Although Gwen is slowly becoming more verbal, even combining words in holophrases such as “Bowl off!” she still relies on signs to a large extent, even creating some of her own. Yesterday, when she wanted to express that she wanted not just a bit of Kelly’s (healthy) cake, but her own piece, she closed her eyes, lifted her chin, and slowly lifted her pointed index finger and decisively rested it on her chest in her distinctive sign for “My OWN!”

Whew, what a week. Yesterday was Springfest, the bellydance festival that we (Viktoriya’s students) were performing in. So Rus stalwartly kept me company while I stayed up till midnight sewing several nights. It actually came out pretty nice, I was a bit proud of myself that I managed to sew on ruffles. Springfest itself turned out to be quite a mix of emotions. We walked in the door and I immediately started scanning the crowd. After about two minutes I realized that I was looking for Munierah, but she wasn’t going to be there, and then I started to cry. It was the first time I had actually been in a place where she should have been, since we were in Hawaii when she passed away, and it just kind of crashed into me that she was gone. MaryMegan and Rus both hugged me and Rus said he thought she probably was there that day. I’m sure he was right.

After that MaryMegan and I headed to the dressing room to get ready. While we were getting dressed Rus called my phone and said that his mom had called him to tell him that there was a family emergency requiring hospitalization. Ugh. So we had a prayer there in the dressing room, while Rus and the kids had one outside, and finished getting ready to dance while we waited to hear something. The dancing itself went really well! While we were waiting backstage the troupe that was on before us was dancing to some very non-Arabic rock song (which I’m not complaining about, I like alternative music myself), and MaryMegan and Viktoriya start rockin’ out backstage with all these crazy dance moves, but while wearing these Egyptain folk costumes-it was hilarious, so by the time it was our turn to go on we were quite loose, no nerves left. The performance went very well, and we all felt good about it. We left as soon as I had changed my clothes after the performance so we could be there for the family. I had told Laurelin before Springfest that we would find her a kid sized coin scarf while we were there. But since we had to leave so fast we weren’t able to get her one. So I told her we would go to Thia’s boutique and find her one there, and she was ok with that. She’s so reasonable, I love it.

(Rus was on the phone a lot while we were up there, geting updates, and all is looking ok now with regards to the emergency.)

Laurelin has been looking older again. It still amazed me how kids do that, all of a sudden they’re just older. She’s getting so beautiful too, we may just have to post rottweilers all around her when she’s in high school….She’s been a great helper lately too. Last night she wanted to help make dinner, so I showed her the way to put spaghetti into the pot without having to break it. She did a pretty good job of it too!

Gwen got her very own Winnie the Poo potty chair and loves to sit on and “deposit”. She still also puts about half of everything in her pants, but hey, she’ll get there.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so glad we got to see you all! And I'm so sad I missed your belly dance performance, Kelly! You look great in the picture.

And, boy, was that scary with the family emergency! I was in Nevada, wondering if we should just turn the car back or what. Glad he's okay.